Friday, March 21, 2014

Inaugural Post

I've been gaming for twenty-seven years now, and I can still remember opening the Big Red Box. I was a poor kid, and it wasn't the sort of thing we could afford. My mom had a job cleaning condos on South Padre Island, though, and after the Spring Break rush, she found the Big Red Box left in a drawer in one of the condos by some college kids. It had a dragon and a dude-with-sword on the cover, so my mom figured I'd be interested in it, whatever it was. :)

Boy, she had no idea.

I was fascinated by everything in that box: the booklets, the dice, character sheets. I read everything in it in exacting detail, and started to figure out what actually playing this game would be like. Then, I found the maps.

After that point, I was hooked. I didn't just want to play this game to create a character and fight monsters. I wanted to be the one with graph paper, who made those cool maps, by God. The first five years of playing D&D, I was the one who DMed it, and I loved the world-building.

Today, I work in the gaming industry, as a freelance writer and game designer. My love of the written word has blossomed into professional work, but I've never abandoned by love of maps. I don't have the artistic eye or training to make maps and the like professionally, but I still make them for my home games to this day. Only instead of a ruler, sharp pencil and pad of graph paper, I tend to use Photoshop. But the craft is the same for me, and I really love working on it.

So that's the purpose of this blog, really. It's a place to post the maps I work on, and might even host some of my thoughts on gaming-related stuff.

Many thanks to the incredible Terry Pratchett, whose quote in the title banner of this blog provided the name for this page, because it's so, so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment